So much to talk about! I have been negligent the past 2 weeks and not posted anything, but don’t worry, I will update you now. Try to keep up as I rattle stuff off!
- Solicitors- I don’t like them. I’m a nice and friendly person who will stop to talk to you if you engage in conversation with me. But I do not sign up to donate on the street! I’m sorry, but if Im going to donate money I’m going to be thinking it out beforehand and figure out who exactly I’m going to donate to. (On the other hand, a scottish man approached me on the street and was clearly looking for donations for… some heart organization, red cross type?… he did not ask me for money but we did have a brief little chat. That was nice!)
- Injuries- I seem to keep banging myself up. I’ve got my bunion recovering, I scraped up the bottom of my foot, I scraped up the top of the other foot, and then I had a muscle that was sore for a few days (leaving me limping during that time) because of walking on slanted sidewalks. Plus I was still getting over my cold — but I’m better now, thank goodness!
- British Museum – I went with George! I saw mummies, and I saw the Asia to Ascot exhibit about horses coming to England. 🙂 It was a Queen’s Jubilee exhibit. Normally a temporary exhibit might cost something but it was FREE and I got to see it on the LAST DAY it was there! It was pretty cool 🙂
- London Eye – I went with Joy, Zhuo, and one of his friends. It was really cool and I posted pictures on Facebook. I will try to post them here soon too. 🙂 Definitely worth seeing at least once.
- Classes/first week of lectures- Well, trying to get all my classes organized was a hassle. Everything is a disorganized mess here. Finally I just gave up and decided to take ALL psychology classes. I’m kind of worried I’m going to get burn out. Oh well, at least I’ll have more psychology knowledge. My classes are:
- Health and Clinical Psychology: Not bad so far, but a HUGE class with around 50-70 people. I don’t feel lost, but I don’t feel quite with it. I meet in 2 different places, twice a week, with different lecturers. Whew!
- Computing for Psychologists: About 40 people. More programming than psychology and I don’t mind it. Programming with MATLAB is similar to programming with PHP and so I feel more familiar with what I’m doing. The lecturer is not too bad.. he’s kinda funny, but he talks to much and is rather hard of hearing.
- Human-Computer Interaction: I still don’t know what to make of this class. There are around 15 of us. Yeah I’m not really sure what’s going on.
- Human Learning and Memory: The lecturer seems pretty decent, and he has said we don’t actually have to take notes, because it is all online… Whatever that means! Makes me too nervous to not take notes. Another big class, around 50 people.
- Reading: It wasn’t until my weekly seminar began this week that I figured out what exactly all my homework is! Basically, you read parts of the textbook (whichever parts interest you), and then you do the readings for 5-7 of the 10 weeks of class. Like… what is this madness? Also, we don’t have tests, we just have essays (as an affiliate). So on November 30, I will have 3 2000-word essays due by 5pm. On the 14th of December, I will have 4 2000-word essays due. Or something similar to that. It’s madness.
- Cooking: My biggest challenge besides the reading is just cooking. Trying to not spend too much on food, teach myself to cook, figure out what I’m going to eat. I’m still learning to cook the basics, honestly, but I’m managing alright.
- Phantom of the Opera: That’s right, I’m going to see Phantom of the Opera tomorrow with George! HOORAY!
- Psych social: Went to an affiliate psychology social on Friday and got free pizza, tried British cider (meh..), and watched Casino Royale! It was a good night 🙂 We’re also trying to plan a trip to go see the making of Harry Potter. (We being some of the other affiliate students.)
- Riding Club Gymkhana: Is tomorrow and I’m excited! It will be my first look at the riding centre, and we’re all carpooling there, or something of that nature.
That’s about all I have for now. Will try to get to posting pics in a bit!